… and not one of them was a technology solution or tool.
Asking questions is a great way to understand your clients … their needs, wants and desires. In Process Engineering or Six Sigma “terms”. It’s called Voice of the Customer.
So it was with great interest that I read the responses to Tech Savvy Agent’s Facebook Page request, back on May 26th.
“Name the ONE thing you can attribute to having the biggest impact (and therefore success) in your (real estate) business:”
Please note that the question asked was “Name the one …”, not name the top 11 reasons. Nonetheless, out of 56 responses only 6 respondents listed a technology solution or tool as the “… ONE thing” they attributed to their real estate success.
Now I took the liberty of combining what I felt were similar reasons; so here’s the top 11 in descending order:
- Attitude – more than 14% of respondents attributed their success to attitude. They used terms like passion, their willingness to “stick to it”, loving what they do, and having confidence in their ability.
- Brokerage – with almost 11% of respondents, where they choose to work, the environment, colleagues, training, and atmosphere were all contributors to why they felt this was their number one reason for their real estate success. Accolades to those brokers that create the right type of environment for helping them to succeed!
- Mentors – 9% gave credit to their mentors and the coaching they received. Some went so far as to name coaches that have impacted their success and included Chris Smith, Darin Persinger, and Brian Buffini.
- Motivated – Now this could have been easily included with Attitude, above, but there were 7% of respondents who identified motivation as their number one reason for real estate success. Of particular note was the respondent who listed expensive toys! If you like them and want to keep them … well, you better be motivated!
- Take Action – It’s often said that you won’t enjoy success, unless you’re willing to take action. This and the next two categories each garnered a little over 5%.
- Service to Clients – For one real estate professional I’ve recently met, Kevin Gagnon with Foley Real Estate, Falmouth, MA, service to his clients is his trademark. Kevin will tell you (and I suspect his clients will, too), “No one will beat the service I provide my clients … no one!”
- Relationships – We all like doing business with and referring business to people we know like and trust.
- 80/20 – Knowing what to focus on … doing the most important tasks first is what a little over 3.5% of respondents identified … same for the next three reasons.
- Business Plan – got to have a plan …
- Knowledge – which includes knowledge about their market
And what were the technology or tool reasons identified as the number one reason for success? In no particular order they were: Imaging, Blog, Database, Web Site, Video, and Twitter.
Now, I’m confident that if the question were, “What Ten Things Do You Attribute To Your Real Estate Success?”, use of a particular technology or tool would be right up there. It’s just noteworthy to note that almost 90% of respondents choose something other than technology as their number ONE.
So I’m curious, Where does leveraging one or all of the six technology tools listed above rank in contributing to your success? Take a moment and share by posting in the comments, below.
P.S. AND if you haven’t already done so, get your free copy of Simple Sales Copy. It’s a great way to consistently write compelling headlines that will get your email and blog articles read. Just enter your name and email address in the box in the sidebar, and you’ll receive instructions for downloading your FREE copy, plus you’ll be subscribed to the Real Estate Marketing Exchange newsletter … always full of tips, tools, and strategies to help you grow your business … and if for any reason you decide to unsubscribe (although I hope you won’t), well … Simple Sales Copy is yours to keep, just for trying it out.
To your success … Paul